YMCA of the Rockies- Hyde Chapel
Originally the Assembly Hall, the building was renovated to create a space to focus on practicing faith. Since 1956, Hyde Chapel has held church services and other religious activities at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park. It is named after A.A. Hyde, the inventor of Mentholatum and philanthropist who played an important role at the YMCA. The chapel reflects the principals and values of Hyde, who believed that exploring nature could deepen one's faith and find their calling to serve God and their community.
Backstory and Context
Before becoming Hyde Chapel, this building was used as a classroom, conference room, program space, and as a place of worship. Originally built in 1913 as an assembly hall for participants attending the summer education camps, wings were added to each side of the building five years later to provide space for increasing attendees.
Pattie Hyde Barclay, the youngest daughter of A.A. Hyde, a long time supporter of the YMCA of the Rockies, funded renovations of the assembly hall. Her condition was that it not only be named after her father, but that it also reflected his values and personal mission, which was inspired by Andrew Carnegie's Gospel of Wealth and the Sermon on the Mount. Hyde Memorial renovations were completed in 1956 with the addition of a chancel, a bell tower, and a small prayer chapel,dedicated to the memory of H.L. Dannen, downstairs. Henry Dorsey Jr. provided the finishing touches to the renovations by donating a bell he nick-named "Duke."
However, much like the earlier building, Hyde Memorial was a multi-purpose building holding conferences and meetings as well as religious services. To establish the focus on spiritual programming, a full time chaplaincy was founded in 1994 with the appointment of Rev. Bill Huth. He set a goal to renovate Hyde and restrict its use to religious services and spiritual programming.
On November 7, 1999, renovations began again on Hyde Memorial. New siding, insulation, and windows and state of the art music equipment were included. It was completed in the summer of 2000 and dedicated and renamed Hyde Chapel in 2001.
Melton, Jack R.. Melton, Lulabeth. YMCA of the Rockies: Reflections, Traditions, and Vision. Estes Park, CO. YMCA of the Rockies, 2006.