Currently home to the Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce, this historic house was constructed in 1903 for the family of Cicero Miller, owner of Miller General Mercantile. In 1919, mayor and civic leader Grover C. Robbins, Sr. and wife Lena acquired the home and they were living here when Robbins ran for governor. The home was well known to Lena Robbins as she was also the daughter of Cicero and Minnie Miller. Additions to the home were made in 1931, 1941 and 1948. The house has two fireplaces made of local granite and chestnut paneling.
A short history of the Miller / Robbins House has can be read on a nearby marker that was created as part of the Blowing Rock Historical Marker Program. That effort is a long-term, joint project between the Blowing Rock Historical Society and the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum.
Cicero Miller, owner of Miller General Mercantile, built the house in 1903. Later, in 1919, it became the home of mayor and civic leader Grover C. Robbins, Sr. and wife Lena, daughter of Cicero and Minnie Miller. Additions were made in 1931, 1941 and 1948.
An inventor, champion of business promotion and tourism, Mr. Robbins founded and served as the first President of the Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce. He established the Blowing Rock attraction and his children followed him as promoters of area tourism. They established tourist attractions and other developments. Some of the third generation are stewards of Blowing Rock attractions and Tweetsie Railroad.
The home currently serves as the home of the Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce and also serves as a visitor center that is open to the public.