Sam Houston Inn
Backstory and Context
The Sam Houston Inn began not as a place to stay but a headquarter for newspaper publishing. Rev. George Coleman edited and published the Independent in the upstairs of what was later the Sam Houston Inn. It was then renovated and opened in 1894. Helen M. Lord held the title for the inn from 1902 to 1917, then sold it to W.C Penn and Sam and Robert Young. They held it until September 1937 when they sold it to Dr. A. M. Gamble. It was then torn down in 1939 to make way for the Gamble building.
From Mineral Springs to Bed Springs, Ledbetter and Tipton, 647.9468
History of Blount County, TN, Burns, 976.87