The House Behind the Cedars
Backstory and Context
Some sources place the home near the corner of C and Person Streets.
According to Jon Young, "In an article in the July 1949 issue of Crisis magazine, John W. Parker, a former English professor at Fayetteville State University, states that the real 'house behind the cedars' stood on this site [corner of C and Person] until 1948, when it was torn down for commercial reasons."
Full image descriptions for acreage maps:
One Acre: the image shows part of the GIS Map for Cumberland County. The area highlighted consists of exactly one-acre split across three lots. The top lot is owned by Evans Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion Church. The middle lot is currently owned by Charles McPhail and Danny Fann, while the lower lot is owned by Tommy West (CCROD Book 7142 Page 350 and Book 3297 Page 230).
Two Acres: the map shows two acres, with the bottom half (one acre) being the land that was given to Andrew Jackson Chesnutt and his brother, George Washington Chesnutt. The two acres were originally a part of the Dolphin Davis estate, being split in half during the division of that estate according to CCROD Book 41, Page 398. This means that to place the House Behind the Cedars along Person Street would be incorrect. It almost certainly occupied the area above the southernmost lot, perhaps on the boundary between the two.
"Deed." Book 41, Cumberland County [NC] Register of Deeds, pp. 398, 1987.
"Deed." Book 59, Cumberland County [NC] Register of Deeds, pp. 116, 1987.
"Deed." Book 7142, Cumberland County [NC] Register of Deeds, pp. 350, 1987.
Ruppe, A. Maxwell. "Deed." Book 3297, Cumberland County [NC] Register of Deeds, pp. 230, 1987.
Young, Jon. “Charles W. Chesnutt's Fayetteville: A (Virtual) Literary Tour.” Fayetteville State University, 2003, http://faculty.uncfsu.edu/jyoung/chesnutthome1.htm.