Delaware State University
Delaware State University was once known as the State College for Colored Students and was established May 15, 1891. The main campus is in Dover, but the University offers courses throughout Delaware.
Backstory and Context
Upon opening on February 2, 1892 there were five courses of study that lead to a baccalaureate degree: Agricultural, Chemical, Classical, Engineering, and Scientific. Throughout the next years many programs and departments were added, such as The Preparatory Department that opened in 1893. Of course many things were changed and edited in order to have a successful and functioning college.
On July 1, 1993, Delaware State College turned another chapter in its history when Gov. Thomas Carper signed a name change into law, thus renaming the College to Delaware State University.
As of the fall 2013, the University’s student enrollment has grown to 4,505 students. The University’s physical infrastructure has grown from its 1891 beginning as a 100-acre property with three buildings to a beautiful 356-acre pedestrian campus with over 50 buildings and four outdoor athletic fields. The University also has two farm properties in the Kenton and Smyrna areas, two University satellite sites in Wilmington and Georgetown, and its Airway Science Program maintains it fleet of planes and base of operation at the Delaware Air Park in Cheswold.