Constructed in 1910 and originally called the Colcord Building, the Colcord Hotel was the first skyscraper built in Oklahoma City. The building was originally 12 stories tall and erected by local businessman and developer Charles Colcord (1859-1934) who made his fortune in the oil industry. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, it has been a hotel since 2006.
Today the building is 14-stories and reaches a height of 145 feet. The building recognizes a significant architectural landmark as the first steel-reinforced concrete structure in the state of Oklahoma. Colcord wanted his building designed in this manner after reviewing similarly-built structures in San Francisco that survived the 1906 earthquake. The building is also significant in that it is a fine example of the Chicago architectural style.