Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour
Now called Kaiser's Grateful Bean Cafe, the former Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour has been an institution in Oklahoma City for over one hundred years. Its founder, Swiss native Anthony J. Kaiser, established it in 1910 and moved the business to this building in 1917. The one-story building features large windows with stained glass above them, a pressed-iron ceiling, a fountain counter with decorated tiles, old seats, and a back-bar area with engraved mirrors and stained glass cabinet doors. Kaiser's has been known for making hand-packed ice cream using 36 pure ingredients, as well as ice sculptures, punches, and frozen puddings. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Backstory and Context
The family-owned the parlor until 1977, at which point it was purchased by another ice cream enthusiast who ran it until 1990. The new owners reopened it in 1994, renaming it Kaiser's Grateful Bean Cafe.
Beutler, Mark. "The Kaiser's Tale." 405 Magazine. January 2017. https://www.405magazine.com/January-2017/The-Kaisers-Tale.
Ruth, Kent. "Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour." National Parks Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 28, 1978. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/64a3af58-3070-4762-8583-83dbea2c9c10.
Kaiser's Grateful Bean Cafe