Clio Logo

The Physicians and Surgeons Building was constructed in the late 1800s and served as the office complex for several of St. Joseph's early physicians and surgeons, most of whom attended the Ensworth Medical College up the road. The building was demolished in the 1970s as part of Urban Renewal and is now the northwest corner of Coleman Hawkins Park. The pillars displayed at this corner lot today were originally from the Hotel Robidoux and were salvaged during its destruction, also during Urban Renewal.


  • Physicians & Surgeons Building Photo, 702 Francis, 1916.  Spengler Pharmacy occupies 1st floor. Doctors names painted on 2nd & 3rd story windows. Image provided by the St. Joseph Museums, Inc.
  • Postcard, Physicians & Surgeons Building, 7th & Francis, c. 1920. The three-story brick building on the corner, glass storefronts on the first story. Stone pillar entrance in the center.  Image provided by the St. Joseph Museums, Inc.