Propeller From The RMS Lusitania
The large propeller, which weighs 15 tons, is located on the hotel grounds. It was installed in 2012.
The Lusitania was the largest ship in the world when it was built.
Three propellers were removed in 1982. One of them is located here, one was melted down, and the third is located at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool.
The Lusitania was a lavish ship. This picture shows the lounge and music room.
Backstory and Context
The Lusitania embarked on its last trip on May 1, 1915 from New York City to Liverpool. A month earlier, Germany had declared the seas around Britain a war zone and the British government warned the Lusitania to avoid the waters south of Ireland, which had seen some U-Boat activity. The Lusitania was also advised to zigzag and change its course at varying intervals and times to make it difficult for U-Boats to shoot their torpedoes. Tragically, the Lusitania's captain, William Thomas Turner, disregarded these warnings and suggestions. He slowed the ship down (due to fog, apparently) and too close to the shore.
The commander of the U-Boat, Walter Schwieger, ordered his crew to fire. The torpedo struck the ship on the starboard (right) side toward the front. Another explosion occurred soon after, this time from within the hull. In just 18 minutes, the Lusitania was gone. Captain Turner survived the attack.
The Germans knew that the Lusitania was not only carrying passengers; it was also carrying around 173 tons of rifle ammunition and shells. The Germans, in fact, warned that they would sink the ship. For this reason, they felt justified in their actions.
"Lusitania." PBS.org, text excerpted from the book Lost Liners, by Robert D. Ballard and Rick Archbold. Accessed July 15, 2019. https://www.pbs.org/lostliners/lusitania.html.
Propeller - The Historical Marker Database
Lusitania - Wikimedia Commons