Now a Private Residence
WHAT MAKES THIS PLACE SO COOL?
Once the home and medical practice of Dr. H.F. Eames
Dr. H.F. Eames was one of Egg Harbor’s most influential doctors, farmers, and property owners in the 1880s. His home “La Vista” saw nearly every citizen of Egg Harbor pass between its walls to receive treatment or companionship from Dr. Eames and his family.
La Vista was built in 1907 on the ridge east of the village as his home for his dairy farms and orchards. The house stood for many years as a base for Eames’s medical work, farming, and business ventures. La Vista, like Thorp’s Cupola house, became a popular spot for dances and gatherings, and was one of the most recognizable homes in the area.
In 1993, the home was moved to its present location by Gloria and Richard Hansen of the Cupola House.
Who was Dr. Eames?
Horace Frank Eames arrived in Egg Harbor from Quebec, Canada with his family in
the late 1870s. After going away to school to receive both his teaching and
medical degrees, Eames returned and became one of the most influential citizens
of Egg Harbor.
by many as the first “scientifically minded” doctor, Eames was an avid
subscriber to medical journals and kept his practice in meticulous order.
Because of his tireless efforts to expand his personal knowledge, Dr. Eames was
elected multiple times to serve as the president of the Door County Medical
Society. He was dedicated to the community he served, and could often be seen
in his horse and buggy visiting patients throughout the countryside, even in
the dead of winter.
Dr. Eames was one of the most productive and well-respected farmers in the
state, owned and operated a general store and commercial dock in town, and
served in many leadership roles within the community including president of the
Door County Telephone Company. Dr. Eames continued his good work in the
community until his death in 1937.
Eames family was well-known and respected in Egg Harbor; the doctor’s
descendants continue to live in the area to this day. View artifacts from Dr. Eames medical practice at the History Center in the Kress Pavillion and Library.