Backstory and Context
Warbird Park is memorial to the members of the U.S. military who served at the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during its 52-year history from 1941-1993. The site is located adjacent to Myrtle Beach International Airport, Myrtle Beach, SC, near the intersection of U.S. 17 (BUS) and Farrow Parkway.
The park is the home of three decommissioned war planes - a Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II (commonly referred to as the "Warthog"), an LTV A-7 Corsair and a North American F-100D Super Sabre - all of which were actually based at MBAFB.
The site also contains a memorial wall with many names of service members who served at MBAFB and a walking trail with multiple displays telling the history of the installation.
First opened in 1941 under the auspices of the U.S. Army Air Corps and closed in 1993 by the Department of Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission, MBAFB was home to units of the Ninth Air Force, including the 323rd Bombardment Group, 354th Fighter Wing, 113th Tactical Fighter Wing, 4554th Tactical Fighter Wing and 352d, 353d, 354th, 355th and 356th Tactical Fighter Squadrons, among others.
After MBAFB was closed in 1993 the base runways became part of Myrtle Beach International Airport, the housing units were developed into Seagate Village, a condominium complex and a large portion was developed into The Market Common, an upscale mall complex. The former base recreation center is now used by the City of Myrtle Beach as a public facility.
There is no admission fee for Warbird Park.