By 1889, a site had been secured as had the funding, construction materials, and the educational facility's board of trustees, which consisted of Condit, Alderson, and Hendricks as well as Rev. W.S. Fulton, W.M. Connonly, John Simpson, James Hatcher, Charles M. Parsons, and Mrs. F.B. Trusell. The building, then named the Pikeville Collegiate Institute, was erected at the center of what is now College Street in Pikeville, Kentucky. In the fall of that same year, the school, under the guidance of Rev. David Blyth, the leader of the Presbyterian church and the school's acting principal, was open for student enrollment, with the first day of classes taking place on September 16th, 1889. Under his guidance, the institute flourished, even expanding a year after its opening when Blyth arranged for the construction of another building, now known as Hendricks Hall. Blyth continued his role as principal for three years following the schools establishment before falling victim to typhoid fever rendered him unable to continue to work.
The Institute, a four-room brick building, functioned as both a church and a school in addition to a meeting place for those who resided in Pikeville, and was, initially, not meant to be degree-granting university. After Blythe's initial expansion of the Institute with the construction of Hendricks Hall, however, the Institute continued to grow. By 1909, the Institute had split, with the original building being renamed the Pikeville Collefe academy and being opened as a private school for primary and secondary level education, with Hendricks Hall and becoming known as Pikeville College a public and accredited junior college which offered associates degrees to students. In 1955 the school became a degree granting four-year college in its own right, and in 1957 the academy closed.
The original Institute building has since become a state landmark and still sits in its original location along College Street in Pikeville amid other buildings from the current college's campus. It is the oldest educational facility still standing in Pike County, Kentucky, and is open for visitors.