This small historic house of worship, called the African Church, holds tremendous significance for the local African-American community of St. Charles. It was built c.1855 by slaves and was the first church building of the St. John African Methodist Episcopal Church; the congregation is now located in a larger structure nearby on Washington Street. The original building, therefore, is as an important religious, social, and education symbol for the African-American community. It is also a well-preserved example of antebellum (pre-Civil War) vernacular architecture. For these reasons, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is not apparent what it is used for today.
Backstory and Context
A few months after the Civil War ended, a group of five black trustees assumed ownership. Within a few years, however, the building became too small for the growing congregation and a new building was erected in 1872. The original church was sold to the Union Benevolent Society of St. Charles in 1874 which used it until 1943. A few years later, a local couple bought the building and converted into a home. It was then rented out beginning in 1975. More recent information about the old church is not readily available.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:A.M.E._Church_of_St._Charles#/media/File:African_American_Church.jpg