Stone Row is a series of historic buildings along Main Street that date to the 1800s. The two-story buildings are listed collectively on the National Register of Historic Places and were built with stone or brick. They were not built at the same time, which is reflected in their different appearances. The structure on the northern end (318 Main St.) was built around 1820 by Thomas Lindsey, who was the founder of the city's first Presbyterian church. Two buildings located in the center of the row were built around 1820 and 1848, respectively. Between 1821-1826, the state and city jails were located at the row. The buildings today are now occupied by various businesses including Boone's Colonial Inn.


  • The northern building in Stone Row was built around 1820.
    The northern building in Stone Row was built around 1820.
"History." St. Charles County. Accessed June 21, 2019.  https://www.sccmo.org/207/History.

Holmes, M. Patricia. "Stone Row." July 29, 1969. National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/69000314.pdf.

"Stone Row, circa 1820." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed June 21, 2019.  https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=124822.

"Stone Building/Brick Building." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed June 21, 2019.  https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=124821.  

Photo: Wikimedia Commons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Row#/media/File:St_Charles_MO_Stone_Row.JPG