When he was 18 (in 1864), Louis joined the 54th Enrolled Missouri Militia; it is not clear whether he participated in any battles during the Civil War. He married his first wife, Anna Niemann, in 1873 and they had a daughter. As stated above, Louis built the house in 1878. He acquired the property by 1885, likely not long after Frederick died (the exact date of his death is unknown). Louis continued to operate the clay mine and the farm, which had various livestock, an orchard, and field crops. He married again in 1878 and had four more children. He died in 1921.
Interestingly, the family made ice cream in the 1920s using ice in the smokehouse and milk from their cows. The property remained in the family until 1947 when one of Louis' daughters moved out due to illness. The house was then rented and fell into disrepair by the 1980s. The city bought it at this time and eventually the property was converted to athletic fields and trails for the adjacent YMCA. The Washington Historical Society acquired the house in 2012.