Clio Logo

The Franklin School was originally built in 1855 as a Catholic school for the St. Charles Borremeo parish. In 1870, the St. Charles school board purchased the Franklin School building for $3500 from St. Louis University. On October 7, 1902, the St. Charles School District opened Franklin School for the district's African American children, to relieve overcrowding at Lincoln School. It graduated its first student, Clarence Thomas Shelton, in 1922; its first four-year high school class of 10 students in 1933; and its last class on June 2, 1955, at which point Missouri's schools had begun the process of racial integration.


Keeven-Franke, Dorris. Franklin School. St. Charles County History. February 24, 2018. Accessed June 12, 2019. https://stcharlescountyhistory.org/2018/02/24/franklin-school/.