Alex and Adelaide died in 1921 and 1927, respectively. The Great Depression, along with the paving of U.S. Hwy. 50, which essentially bypassed the town, forced the sisters to close the hotel. Three of them (one married a guest and moved to Kansas), however, continued to live in the hotel and remained there for the rest of their lives. After the last sister passed away in 1970, her son assumed ownership. He sold it in 1979 to a married couple who started to restore and furnish it with antiques. The current owners bought it in 1994 and continued the restoration work. The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.