John N. and Elizabeth Taylor House
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the John N. and Elizabeth Taylor House is a big, Colonial Revival style home in the historic Westwood subdivision. Built around 1909, it is one of the largest and well-preserved houses on West Broadway Street from the early 20th century. When it was built, the home was so impressive that two local promotional publications published pictures of it. In recent years, it was a bed-and-breakfast but is now a private home once again. Although not open to the public, it is easily viewed from the street.
Backstory and Context
Sadly, Lida passed away in 1886 but John married Elizabeth, whom he met in Huntsville, four years later and they had seven more children. In the coming years, John opened several other stores in mid-Missouri, including Columbia. He and his family moved into the newly-constructed house in c.1909. It is not clear how long the family there.
Sheals, Debbie. "John N. and Elizabeth Taylor House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 25, 2001. https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/01000546.pdf.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons