Haymond Hall of Science, West Virginia Wesleyan College
This was the first building on the campus of West Virginia Wesleyan College to be named for a person, Col. Sydney Haymond, a Trustee from 1906 until his death in 1912. His wife, Virginia, was appointed to the board in his place, one of the first three women to serve in that capacity. She generously provided money for the building in his memory, but it has come to symbolize the love and support they both shared for the college.
Backstory and Context
In his book West Virginia Wesleyan College 1890-1940: The First Fifty Years, Thomas W. Haught wrote, "This building was given and erected as a memorial to the life and service of Colonel Haymond. But since Mrs. Haymond's death in 1917 it has very generally been though of as a memorial to her life and service as well".
After the newer science faciities were built, Haymond Hall of Science has been the home for the Social Sciences, Home Economics, History, and Political Science. The computer Help Desk is located in the basement of the building.
The third floor is currently the home of the Learning Center and testing laboratory.