Located at 343 East Graves Ave, The Drift Inn, now Bengston Cottage was built in 1895 and is a Framed Vernacular style, this is a cracker style house, one of the oldest buildings in Orange City.
It is supported by brick and masonry piers and features wrap-around porches, now incorporated, abundant cross-ventilation through opposing windows and doors, high tin ceilings for maximum cooling, and balloon native pine construction, with pine-board inside walls. Multiple gable roofs allowed dead hot air to collect in the attic above the living space. This house, nicely restored to the 1900s Victorian elegance.
The Drift Inn Cottage was built in the 1870s with additions added in the 1890s. The cottage was originally own by F.L. and C.J. Smith and E.S.Bengston. C.J. Smith owned and operated a gin mill in the city.
In 1904, Isabella Dunlap purchased the cottage from Bengston. Isabella is noted for her civic involvement in Orange City.; and at one time was the president of the Village Improvement Association, an active member of the Cemetery Association and the first woman on the Orange City Town Council.
In March 1909, Orange City had a devastating fire caused by an old oil stove in the house of Dr. P.W.Hill causing the destruction of his home and seven other structures on Graves and Oak Avenues. Mrs. Isabella Dunlap saved her cottage by connecting her own hose to the hydrant and sprayed down her cottage.. During her ownership of the cottage Isabella married and changed her name to Isabella Garhardt.
In 1914 the property was acquired by James and Nella Walden of Connecticut owners of the property next door to the cottage. Even after the purchase of Drift In Cottage, Abbie and Georgia Dunlap continued to make annual seasonal trips to the city and resided at the cottage until 1919.