Deep Deuce Grill
Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce Grill is located in the Haywood Building which was constructed by Dr. W. L. Haywood in 1926.
Backstory and Context
The name of this local establishment is a reference to the community which earned the nickname "Deep Deuce" when it was the heart of Oklahoma City's African American community. The district attracted many traveling musicians during the early years of jazz and blues music. This two-story brick structure was built in the 190s and is best known for owner W.L. Haywood who opened numerous businesses including the first black hospital in Oklahoma City.