Until 1926, county officials conducted their business in rented spaces. In that year, the courthouse was completed according to a plan by the architectural firm of Layton, Hicks, & Forsyth, which was led by architect Solomon Andrew Layton. This firm, also known as Layton & Forsyth or Layton, Smith & Forsyth, designed many other notable buildings throughout Oklahoma including the Journal Record Building (1923) in Oklahoma City and Bizzell Library (1928) on the campus of the University of Oklahoma. The firm designed several other courthouses, including the Beckham County Courthouse (1911) and the Oklahoma County Courthouse (1937).
The courthouse is designed in the Plains Commercial Style, a variant on the Chicago School of architecture which was common throughout the Midwest during the early decades of the twentieth century. Notable features include the stone cornice, decorative stone insets between the second- and third-floor windows, and the stone-framed doorway.