Clio Logo

BANK OF STURGEON BAY/SCOFIELD BLOCK, 1899/1900


  • Current building.
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49732
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49732
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49732

The Bank of Sturgeon Bay/Scofield Block was constructed in the years 1899/1900 on the site of the A.C. Meacham House, a large brick residence built in the 1880s. H.C. Schofield was one of the most important individuals in Sturgeon Bay. He was involved in local politics and served as a mayor of Sturgeon Bay. This massive corner building is of grey, local limestone laid in alternating width courses as rock-faced ashlar. In keeping with the obdurate character of this stone, the detailing and trim is not carved but is built up of smaller blocks to form classical ornament. A modillioned cornice treatment, a gable over a former side entrance, and the semicircular arches over the corner (bank) windows and entry show this technique. An original, embattled corner clock tower has been removed and other modifications to the north storefront (hardware company) have been made within the original masonry opening. This prominent corner building is the largest and most handsomely detailed building of local limestone within the District. It is the only building within the District that can be attributed to the Sturgeon Bay architect Fred D. Crandall (1859-1936) who designed several other city buildings in this material and in this style.1

1. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/83004282_text