Clio Logo

SHIMMEL/GILLESPIE BLOCK, 1890


  • Current building.
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49726
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49726
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49726

When this building was constructed in 1890, the south half (139) was owned by the Shimmel family. Mr. Shimmel was involved in the tailoring business. The other half (147) was owned by Thomas Gillespie, a furniture dealer. This double commercial block is accented by handsomely crafted, corbelled brickwork detailing at the frieze below the cornice and at the architrave over the storefront openings. Here, arcades and shallow brackets link implied pilasters. This feature is the best and most exuberant example of this type of anonymous craftsmanship within the District. The original storefronts have been substantially modified but these changes have been made within the original masonry openings.1

1. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/83004282_text