Ball-Eddleman–McFarland House (Historic Fort Worth)
Constructed in 1889 on a bluff overlooking Trinity River to the west, this mansion was part of a neighborhood called Quality Hill that once had many Victorian homes. It was built by Frank M. Ball and his mother, Sarah, who was the widow of wealthy banker George Ball. The house features several notable elements including turrets, a number of chimneys, decorative ironwork, Corinthian columns, and a circular porch. The first floor is maintained as a house museum and the lower floor features a resource library. Inside, visitors will see elaborate woodwork, coffered ceilings, oak mantles, and parquet floors (wood floors that have geometric designs). The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Backstory and Context
"Ball-Eddleman–McFarland House." Architecture in Fort Worth. Accessed May 3, 2019. http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/ed-mc.htm.
Roark, Carol. "Eddleman–McFarland House." October 18, 1979. National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/79003009/79003009.pdf.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons