To combat the spread of disease, cities began to build public baths. In New York, Dr. Simon Baruch became a champion of building public baths, arguing that the baths would improve morality as well as living conditions. By 1912, there were 23 public baths in the city, bathing more than 5 million people each year.
The Asser Levy Public Bath was completed in 1906. It was not the first public bath in the city, but it was one of the most beautiful. Designed by the architecture firm Brunner & Aiken, the building was meant to replicate the Roman baths, and features stone urns, vaulted ceilings, and balconies.
During the tenure of Robert Moses, the city's Parks Commissioner for much of the twentieth century, two swimming pools were added to the bathhouse. The pools--one indoor and one outdoor--are still in use at the bathhouse, which is now part of the Asser Levy Recreation Center.
By the late twentieth century, the bathhouse fell into disrepair and was threatened with demolition. It was closed in 1973 for repairs, but the repairs were years in coming. After years of decline, the building was renovated in the late 1980s and though there is no longer a need for the baths, the building is used for a public swimming pool and a health club. It is a New York City Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.