This building was built in the early 20th century. In its lifetime, it was once home to both the library and the Georgia Museum of Art. After they outgrew the building, it became the Administration Building. The office of the University of Georgia's President is located here.
Administration Building is a red brick building located next to Terrell Hall
and Old College. It is a two story building, with a black trim wrapped around
the building. The front of the building, facing west, has two wooden doors with
windows and two white columns on either side of the doors. On the south side of
the building there is a gated patio space with some chairs surrounded by
greenery. The north side of the building has the handicapped entrance, another
patio space with some benches, and the parking lot for the building with three
reserved spots. The east side has a back entrance for employees.
building was built in 1905 to house the school’s library, which before
then had been located in what is now the Holmes-Hunter Building.1 Its construction
was funded by George Foster Peabody and this new “fire-proof” building was to
hold the library’s 30,000 volume collection.2 During the 1940s, the building’s basement
also became home to the Georgia Museum of Art.3 Then in 1952, the art museum
would take over the whole building when the Ilah Dunlap Little Memorial Library
was built to house the ever growing collection of books.4The building would
then remain unchanged until the 1990s when the museum was able to move to its
new building located on East Campus.5 The building then went through some
renovations, which were completed in February of 2000.6
The building currently houses four offices. The
President, the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the
Senior Vice President for External Affairs, and the Senior Vice President for
Finance and Administration are all located in this building.