Camp DuPont is located in New Castle County in Wilmington, Delaware. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Infantry stayed there from June to October 1862. The Fourth Regiment lost a total of 84 soldiers. The marker was named after Rear Admiral Samuel F. DuPont.
Backstory and Context
The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry was created in Wilmington, Delaware in 1862. They fought battles throughout the east. Four officers and 80 enlisted men were killed by battles and disease. This regiment was originally the First Regiment, Delaware Infantry in 1861. They were responding as volunteers to Abraham Lincoln's request. The unit consisted of 780 volunteers to help "put down the rebellion."
It is named after Rear Admiral Samuel F. DuPont. He spent close to 22 years on active duty at sea and another eight years on shore in the Navy. He was connected to the capture of Port Royal in November 1861. He was in command of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. In August 1862, he was nominated by Abraham Lincoln one of the nine Rear-Admirals.
1st Regiment, Delaware Infantry (3 months 1861). Research Online. . . researchonline.net.
Obituary.; Admiral Samuel Francis DuPont. New York Times. June 24, 1865. . www.nytimes.com.
Union Regimental Histories. Civil War Archive. . . http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/undetr1.htm.