First Creek War
The First Creek War marker was erected in the Baldwin County Bicentennial Park in Alabama. It was erected in 2010 by the Order of Indian Wars of the United States Chartered 10 June 1896. This marker is to honor the memory of those soldiers and settlers who fought in Alabama to establish our American liberties in the First Creek War in 1813-1814. It has the name of 17 different battles that were fought in 1813-1814 in Baldwin County and throughout Alabama in this short war.
Backstory and Context
The Creek Indian formed many factions to fight against the white settlements. A faction called the Red Sticks would prey on white settlements and even other Creek Indians who didn't agree with them. On August 30, 1813, the Red Sticks made a surprise attack on the white frontiersman at Lake Tensaw, North of Mobile, Alabama. This was later known as the Ft. Mims Massacre. This caused the southern states to respond very harshly.
Gen. Andrew Jackson had an army of 5,000 militiamen. Gen. Jackson and his army were able to take out the two Indian villages of Tallasahatchee and Talladega. The next spring, on March 27,1814, The Battle of Horseshoe Bend started. Jackson's power and numbers were superior to those of the Creek Indians. They were able to kill over 800 and imprisoned 500 women and children. This was the end of the Indian's power in the Old Southwest.
The treaty of Ft. Jackson required the Creek Indians to cede 23 million acres of land. This took up more than half of Alabama and part of Southern Georgia. A lot of that land had previously belonged to Indians that were at one point allies with Jackson.
These are just some of the main battles that made up the First Creek War. There were 17 battles in this war that are forever memorialized on this Marker in the Baldwin County Bicentennial Park.
Creek War. Encyclopedia Britannica. . Accessed April 13, 2019. https://www.britannica.com/event/Creek-War.
Braund, Kathryn. Creek War of 1813-14. Ecnyclopedia of Alabama. October 28, 2008. Accessed April 13, 2019. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1820.