The First Licensed Ferry Historical Marker (1847)
This historical marker commemorates the first license given to John B. Scott in 1847 for regular ferry service across the Des Moines River. Scott ran the business with his brother, Wilson. The marker also notes that the first pontoon bridge was built in 1856 where the Grand Avenue bridge is now located. The mark also shares the history of the first toll bridge in the area which was constructed at Court Avenue in 1856.
"The First Licensed Ferry." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed April 10, 2019. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=41875.
"History of Des Moines County." Des Moines County. Accessed April 10, 2019. https://www.dmcounty.com/97/County-History.
Photo: The Historical Marker Database