Mary Gibbs Jones Hall
Arial view of Jones Hall in the 1960s. Courtesy of the Texas Woman's University Woman's Collection
Inside a dorm room from the 1960s. Courtesy of the Texas Woman's University Woman's Collection.
Outside of Jones Hall. Courtesy of the Texas Woman's University Woman's Collection
Jones Hall ribbon cutting ceremony photo which includes John A. Guinn the President of the University at the time. Courtesy of the Texas Woman's University Woman's Collection
Jones Hall outside showcasing the courtyard. Courtesy of the Texas Woman's University Women's Collection.
Backstory and Context
Throughout the 1950s, the rising population of Texas Woman's University created the demand for more housing. The University Bulletin in 1960 reported a 7.57 percent growth over the year. The Texas Woman’s University President of the time, John A. Guinn announced on November 15th, 1960 plans for a $1.1 million dormitory, to be located between the then dorm of Smith-Carroll Hall and the Student Union Building. The new dorm was built for seniors and was finished in just nine months. They broke ground on February 22nd, 1961 and completed it in November of 1961 with the dedication ceremony on December 11th, of 1961.
This brand-new dormitory was named the Mary Gibbs Jones Hall and boasted two and a half stories accommodating 332 students in double rooms. A few features that made it extra special included the ample parking, a patio, and the fact it had air conditioning and heating units.
Mary Gibbs Jones spent many years working on her philanthropic, humanitarian and scientific endeavors. On June 1st, 1958, Texas Woman’s University gave its second LL. D Honorary degree to her. They honored her for “singularly and exceptionally high personal, civic, humanitarian, and philanthropic achievements” (Marking A Trail, pg. 172). Having spent thirty plus years being a patron of education, she was also honored with a scholarship that would be awarded to students in nursing, home economics, liberal arts & sciences, American history, pediatrics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, business, and teacher training.
With TWU's ever rising enrollment, Mary Gibbs Jones Hall was completely full. This prompted the TWU Regents to authorize the construction of another “ultra-modern” dormitory adjacent to and east of Mary Gibbs Jones Hall. This dorm was named John A. Guinn Hall. The thriving enrollment of TWU, mixed with the pragmatic President at the time, made these improvements some of the best things to happen to TWU in the late 1950’s and 1960’s. Mary Gibbs Jones continues to leave her legacy on students, staff and faculty today and will for many years to come.
TWU University Archives. Home Page. . Accessed March 05, 2019. https://twu.edu/library/womans-collection/collections/university-archives/.
TWU University Digital Archives. Interior View of Dorm Room in Mary Gibbs Jones Hall. . Accessed March 10, 2019. https://twudigital.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p1281coll6/id/2441/rec/1.
TWU Digital Archives. Mary Gibbs Jones Hall Dormitory Dedication Ceremony. . Accessed March 10, 2019. https://twudigital.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p1281coll6/id/2439/rec/1.
TWU Digital Archives. Mary Gibbs Jones Hall Dormitory. . Accessed March 10, 2019. https://twudigital.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p1281coll6/id/2436/rec/1.
TWU Digital Archives. Mary Gibbs Jones Hall Dormitory. . Accessed March 10, 2019. https://twudigital.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p1281coll6/id/2437/rec/1.
TWU Digital Archives. Mary Gibbs Jones Hall Dormitory. . Accessed March 10, 2019. https://twudigital.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p1281coll6/id/2438/rec/1.