As is the case with many early entrepreneurs on the island, Podmore arrived at Hawaii as an immigrant; specifically, he was an English sailor. He settled in Oahu and took a job as a clerk for four years (1886 - 90) and then opened a firm that served as an agent for the Anglo-American Crockery & Glass Co of San Francisco, handling insurance, shipping, and other functions. He also earned money investing in real estate in the early 1900s.
On February 26, 1902, Peter Cushman Jones, Ltd. leased the vacant lot where the building stands to Joseph W. Podmore, with the condition he would financed the construction of a permanent structure. Photographs of the period show the builders used wooden hoists and scaffolds to lift the massive lava stones (basalt) mined from nearby quarries into place. Though many found the lava stones durable, some stones exploded if they caught on fire and had to be soaked with water. Hence, the reliance upon the basalt did not last for many years.
Given Podmore's desire to invest in real estate, it is not surprising that he built the storefront to rent (or lease); he did not reside or work there. Occupants of the building range from stores and sales to printers, painters, lawyers, and doctors. However, Podmore sold the building in 1907 to P.C. Jones who donated it to the Hawaiian Board of Missions, who used it as its headquarters from 1907 to 1916. The board published The Friend, a notable monthly publication reporting on the missionary work of the Board throughout the Pacific, as well as local political and social issues including promoting temperance and racial equality, all of which comprise a significant portion of Hawaii's early twentieth-century history.
After 1924 the building changed hands numerous times. One of its principal occupants included DHL Air Cargo. As of 2018, real-estate listings still show it as space available for use by retailers and professionals.