The Old United States Post Office is arguably Evansville's most beautiful building. It was designed by Alfred B. Mullet in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and built in 1879. It features numerous interesting architectural elements including a frontal arcade, round arches, towers, and an oriel window (a bay window that doesn't reach the ground). The building's wings were added in 1918. The government occupied the old post office until the early 1970s. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, it has been restored and today serves primarily as an event venue but houses a few businesses as well.