Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Military Operations in Jefferson County, Virginia (Now West Virginia): 1861-1865 and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.

July 16, 1863. Company “D,” 12th Virginia Cavalry, moved northeast to Moler’s Cross Roads. When Maj. John L. Knott relieved Capt. Kearney, he sent the prisoners “back to safety.” Company “D” ran in to Union reinforcements moving from Harpers Ferry to assist Union troops which had crossed the Potomac at Shepherdstown and engaged Confederate cavalry led by Gen. Fitzhugh Lee and Gen. John R. Chambliss, Jr. The work of Company “D” succeeded in delaying Union reinforcements so that they were unable to come to the aid of their compatriots near Shepherdstown. “This timely check of this brigade fro three hours undoubtedly saved the day on the pike at Butler’s woods.”


"Military Operations in Jefferson County Virginia (Now West Virginia) 1861–1865," 
Originally Published by Authority of Jefferson County Camp, No. 123 United Confederate Veterans (1911), Republished with an Introduction by James C. Holland by Authority of Henry Kyd Douglas Camp, No. 199 Sons of Confederate Veterans (2004).