Julesburg Station (Former Location)
Approximately 100 yards to the north of the interpretive sign is the location of the former Julesburg Station. No structures from the station era survive and the location is marked only by a flag pole and stone marker. Jules Beni established the trading post in the late 1850s as emigrants began to follow the Lodgepole Creek bypass of the California and Oregon Trails. The station then became a home station and storehouse for the Pony Express until it was replaced by the arrival of the transcontinental telegraph. In September 1864, the station was absorbed into the new military reservation surrounding Camp Rankin. This eliminated the sale of alcohol and gambling at the station. The station was attacked on January 7th, 1865 as part of the Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Sioux response to the Sand Creek Massacre. The Native American warriors returned on February 2nd to sack the station again and set the torch to all of the stations buildings. The location is on private property and not open to the public. Artifacts from the station can be viewed at the Fort Sedgwick Museum.
Backstory and Context
To be published.