Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, Hose Station No. 1 is a historic fire fighting station built in 1877. It was constructed for the volunteer Fire King Engine 2nd Hose Company, the predecessor to the city's first paid fire department in 1882 (they changed their name to Hose Company No. 1 at this time). Local architect J.W. Ross designed it in the Italianate style with a red brick facade. Interesting features include arched windows and a tower. The building is Ross' earliest recorded project; he would go on to design other important buildings in the city including Scott County Courthouse. The building is also the oldest fire station still standing in the city. As of March 2019, it appears that the building is vacant.