The building was originally constructed with many functions in mind beyond governance. The basement was built to accommodate a police station, the city jail, and two saloons. The first floor was used as a market until it was moved outside in 1879. Government activities were limited to the second floor, where the courtroom and council chamber were located. The floor plan of the third floor was mostly taken up by one large room, which was used as a venue for various community events.
While not held inside of city hall anymore, there is still an active farmer's market located in front of city hall. The market runs every Saturday morning May through October. Once a small affair, the market can now fill up three or more blocks of sidewalk space every Saturday. All items sold at the market are required to have been personally produced by the vendor in their own home or garden.