Clio Logo

Folck's Mill was a grist and sawmill located outside of Cumberland, MD. The original structure was an early 19th-century brick building and had three stories; now all that remains is the stone foundations. The mill was the site of The Battle of Folck's Mill in 1864. During the battle, Union troops led by General Benjamin Kelley rerouted Confederate troops as they made their way to Cumberland. Though the battle was a draw, the Confederate soldiers retreated to the Potomac following the battle. There are still signs of damage from the battle on the remaining stones.


  • Folck's Mill in 1870

Courtesy of Cumberland Times-News
  • Folck's Mill today
  • The historic marker for the battle

    The only remaining part of the original three-story brick building that was Folck's Mill is the stone foundation at this location. The mill was built in the early 19th century. First known as Pleasant Mill, it was built by Thomas Beall and later inherited by Jacob Hobitzell the husband of Beall descendent Amy Beall Hobitzell. The couple bought the land in 1819 and after Hobitzell's death, the land was purchased by the Folck family and becoming Folck's Mill. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the Wolfe family became the property owners, giving the mill its third name: Wolfe's Mill. Though always a small operation, the grist and saw mill was a commercial center for local farmers. 
    While the mill was still under Folck family ownership in 1864, General Benjamin F. Kelley led Union soldiers against Confederates marching towards Cumberland, MD. The Confederate troops had orders to destroy parts of the B&O Railroad and cut off major supply and transportation lines for the Union troops. Before arriving at this site, the Confederate troops led by Brigadier General John McCausland had set fire to the town of, Chambersburg, PA. The troops met near the mill and became known as the Battle of Folck's Mill or the Battle of Cumberland. There were 38 total casualties from the battle. Though neither side is credited with victory, the Confederate troops were turned away from Cumberland and retreated to the Potomac River as a result of the battle. This often leads to the battle being discussed as a Union victory. The stones show signs of damage from shots fired during the battle. There is also some evidence that the mill may have caught fire during the battle.  
    Today, the site of the mill is owned by the Maryland State Highway Administration and is located just off of I-68. Folck's Mill was added to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance as a Civil War battleground in 2009. 

Blaisdell, Elaine. Group seeks to protect Folck's Mill site. Cumberland Times-News. June 18, 2011. Accessed March 10, 2019. https://www.times-news.com/news/local_news/group-seeks-to-protect-folck-s-mill-site/article_f0e26480-a167-5d47-9c23-b80a27c294dc.html.

Folck's Mill (site). Department of Planning: Maryland Historical Trust. November 21, 2008. Accessed March 10, 2019. https://mht.maryland.gov/nr/NRDetail.aspx?NRID=1548.