Built around 1866, the John Kendrick House is a historic home located in Waterbury's commercial district and served as the home of the Mattatuck Museum from 1912-1987. This Tuscan villa is a fine example of the Italianate architecture style and it is believed that prominent Connecticut architect Henry Austin designed the structure. From 1912-1987, it was the location of the Mattatuck Museum, which is now located just to the north. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The house is situated next to a park called Waterbury Green, which was once an affluent residential neighborhood. The current status of the house is unclear but it can be admired from the sidewalk.
The house was built by John's father, Greene Kendrick, as a gift. Greene was a successful manufacturer of brass items such as pins and became very wealthy. He also became involved in politics, serving as the city's representative in the state legislature. John did not succeed at business like his father but he did maintain his upper-class social standing and became a judge and served as mayor and other political positions. John's son, Greene Kendrick II—who also became mayor and worked as a judge—sold the house to the Mattatuck Historical Society in 1911. The Society became the Mattatuck Museum in 1912, opening for the first time as a museum that year.