the Harvey C. Couch School
the Harvey C. Couch School was built in 1928 as a gift to the Calhoun community, in rural Columbia County, Arkansas. The school building is located at the junction of county roads 11 & 25, this is the same area as the Historic Marker for the Calhoun Settlement. The school is a single story brick structure whose main block has a hip roof, there is also an open porch on its front and 3 concrete staircases on its other elevations. The double door entry on the front porch is sheltered by a gable roof which features craftsman style brackets. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Backstory and Context
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
*Fun Fact* The school building was a gift to the Calhoun Community by it's native son, Arkansas business man, Harvey C. Couch.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service
A Walk Through History; a Self-Guided Walking Tour Around the Downtown Square of Magnolia, Arkansas, compiled by Molly Burns.