The statue is of a civil war soldier, presumably a Union soldier, sitting upon a stack of wood while holding a rifle. The side panels are lists of the names of the soldiers who perished in the war. In front of the statue is a Spanish cannon donated to the county from General S.W. Fountain in 1925. Beside the cannon is a memorial bench also commemorating the lives of the soldiers.
The statue was completed in October 1871 with the unveiling happening later the same month. Around 2,500 people attended the dedication ceremony. This monument is one of the last original construction projects built in Pomeroy. Economic decline has made it difficult for new construction projects. The monument still stands today and is apart of the Pomeroy historic district.