137 Raritan Ave
This is a photo from 1949 showing a group of children wait to be picked up for a Yankee’s game for a sponsored night out by the Highland Park Police Department, which was located in the 1-story brick building in the center. In 2018-19, this Alexander Merc
Backstory and Context
Built in 1897, this building that formerly occupied this site became became William Himelstein’s confectionery in the 1920s. By 1948 it had become Lawrence Hoffman’s confectionery. Since then, it has also been a realtor’s office, and, in the 1990’s, a bicycle shop, before it was unfortunately demolished. It is now an empty lot. At one point, the trace of the building's foundation and entryway were still visible, however recent new development on the site may have obscured or possibly destroyed this.
Both the fire department and the police department moved in 1954 to their current location, although the fire department and police station buildings on fifth have undergone numerous renovations since then.