This interesting structure is a historic windmill that provided water to a large dairy farm that was part of a large estate that once existed here. It pumped water from a well drilled under it into a cistern that is located inside. The owner of that estate, Frederic Bronson II, who was a prominent financier and lawyer from New York City, built it in 1894. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is the last one of many such windmills that once stood in the area.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons