In the 1700s, Europeans settled along the Pee Dee River and in 1780, a settler named John Kirk established a ferry along the river, linking it to a major roadway. The park developed around the 1930s with many Stanly County citizens donating acres of land. The park currently covers 4,792 acres.
Many visitors are also encouraged to, Visit the homestead of a 19th-century doctor, Dr. Francis Kron, the first physician in the area. His home, doctor's office and infirmary, and greenhouse were reconstructed in the 1960s and appear today much as they did in 1870.1