The Union army consisted of local men as well as the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment. These soldiers passed through the area and utilized the church and its grounds as a camp. Men were encamped here in June of 1863, until around the time they were sent to Charleston in July. (Hawks 2018) During this time, the location was graced with the presence of two future U.S. Presidents. At that time Major William McKinley and also then Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes stayed at the camp during a portion of time in 1863, the same year West Virginia was granted statehood.
After the war, the Methodist Episcopal Church at Forest Hill saw divisions between members who supported the Southern Methodists. The southern faction was led by Reverend Caddin Wiseman in 1867 who served as the first preacher under the new organization Methodist Episcopal Church South. Members who opposed this faction locked the building at one point, but many either changed their position, left the church, or moved to Ohio and other areas.