South Canaan Congregational Church
The South Canaan Congregational Church, now known as the South Canaan Meetinghouse, is significant for being an excellent example of Federal architecture. Built in 1804, it has remained largely unaltered and is owned and operated by the Falls Village-Canaan Historical Society. The church is also significant because, like other churches built in small towns, it was an important local religious and social institution. In terms of its design, the church represents the transition from simple-looking to more decorative buildings during the period between 1790-1810.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Falls Village-Canaan Historical Society