Believed to be built around 1805, the Montrose School in Colts Neck is the last of six existing one-roomed schools from 1812. What was originally the Barrenton School was moved and transplanted as the Montrose School with brick and mortar. The Montrose School was closed in 1922 because of the construction of the Atlantic School on route 537, also in Colts Neck.
It was donated by the owners of the property, the Emmans family, until they donated it to the inactive Colts Neck Historical Society. Because of this, tours were unavailable except for once on a Colts Neck hour tour (The Colts Neck Historical Preservation Committee).
Luckily, in 2003, it was deeded to former mayor Lillian Burry and the Colts Neck Historical Preservation Committee. According to CNHPC, the Montrose schoolhouse retains its original pumpkin pine floors, a potbelly wood burning stove and a collection of period school desks. The Montrose schoolhouse is opened on special occasions.”