Clio Logo

Now a bed and breakfast inn, the historic Whitehall Mansion is one of the finest examples of late Colonial architecture in Stonington. It was built in the 1770s by Dr. Dudley Woodbridge, a successful local physician and member of the state legislature. Whitehall is not at its original location; it was moved twice in the 1960s to give room for highway expansion. In 1979, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.


  • Whitehall Mansion, which is now a bed and breakfast, was built in the 1770s.

Dr. Dudley Woodbridge earned a degree in theology from Harvard in 1724. He served as a minister to the Groton church but decided to become a doctor in 1739 after his first marriage ended. In 1771, he bought the property on which Whitehall stands and, around this time, married a woman named Sarah Sheldon. They raised nine children, one of whom, a son, died at the age of 12. 

The home remained a private residence until 1962 when it was donated to the Stonington Historical Society, which opened it as a museum. The Society sold it in 1996 because they could not afford to operate it anymore. The bed and breakfast opened sometime in the late 1990s.

Brilvitch, Charles W. "Whitehall Mansion." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. April 12, 1979.  https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/81ffcab9-562e-42be-a53f-02a4c084169c.

"History." Whitehall Mansion. Accessed January 30, 2019.  http://www.whitehallmansion.com/history.aspx.

Photos: Whitehall Mansion