Old Alexander House
Backstory and Context
Built in 1855 by Samuel Alexander, this single-story dogtrot house is one of the oldest buildings in the county, and one of its few surviving antebellum structures. It is located on what was once the main road between Camden, Arkansas and Shreveport, Louisiana, northeast of Magnolia. The house was in the ownership of the Alexander family, but since been donated to Southern Arkansas University, to be part of a rural homestead studies project.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
For more information on the rural homestead project or before entering the house, check with officials at Southern Arkansas University.
This property is part of a working university.
Please check with the officials at Southern Arkansas University before going.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service