The Y.M.C.A. and the Court Theatre
The Y.M.C.A. (Young Men's Christian Association) building still stands on West Chestnut Street. The Y.M.C.A. used to partake in after school clubs and activities with nearby Washington & Jefferson College. In the early 1900s, they would have prayer sessions, after school activities, and dances. While the building still stands, the organization no longer operates in the West Chestnut street location. The Court Theatre had since been torn down. A first-hand account mentioned that the theatre used to show western movies on the weekends. In 1955, one of Washington County’s oldest retail firms had bought out the theater, the Home Furniture Company, who prepared to expand its retail facilities in Washington. They bought the Court Theatre in 1955 and immediately began extensive remodeling for a furniture gallery.